Visit Stories Behind the Stones, where each floor of the Tower takes you on a journey through time.
Discover centuries of history retold with multimedia installations, fascinating displays and stunning rooftop views across Southampton Water.
Stories Behind the Stones shines a light on GHT’s dark past, from its creation in the Middle Ages as a purpose-built gun tower, to its eery time as one of England’s most dismal jails, and its present-day reincarnation as a truly inspirational venue with unrivalled views across the city.
With a Tower pass you can:
- Climb the spiral staircase onto the GHT roof
- See Southampton as never before with a CGI telescope on the roof
- Touch the historic stone walls that held prisoners captive, and learn about their crimes of passion and violence
- Discover how medieval gunners defended the town, their stories brought to life with animations and tapestry
To complement the displays seven Southampton artists have interpreted GHT’s hidden history, bringing it to life with surreal and unsettling installations.
Your ticket will give you access to all four floors of the Tower, including the roof. The ticket lasts for three months and you are welcome to come back as many times as you like in that quarter.
If you have difficulty accessing the stairs you can experience Stories Behind the Stones with a virtual reality headset.
- £5.00 – Adult
- £4.00 – Concessions: children aged 5-16, students with valid ID, over 60s
- £15.00 – Family ticket for up to four people (must include one adult)
- £8.00 – Southampton Tourist Guide Association combined Old Town tour and Tower ticket
Book your ticket