We are so excited! Stories Behind the Stones, GHT’s four-storey heritage extravaganza opens fully this weekend.
Complete with gruesome details of Southampton’s last hanging, a whole floor dedicated to gunners and weapons, and the fascinating story of why GHT was built, Stories Behind the Stones features specially commissioned animations, cutting edge technology and artistic installations.
Created by award-winning museum designers who have drawn on years of historical research by Southampton specialists, the displays unearth GHT’s dark history and Southampton’s hidden stories.
- See the Ken Hellyar model map, fully restored and animated.
- Learn about the town gunners, who defended the medieval town from attack.
- Hear how William Shawyer, the last man to be hanged in Southampton in July 1785, spent his last night at GHT before being hanged on the Common.
- Climb the spiral staircase for stunning views over Southampton Water
- See Southampton as it was in 1454, with a CGI model of the town
***Get an early bird pass in person at GHT for £3.50 before November 2nd!***
**Coming soon – VR headsets on the ground floor and increased accessibility days**
Stories Behind the Stones is open every day from 10am – 5pm, with last entry at 4.30pm
GHT’s opening season has now begun -look out for GHT: Calling for more events and fun!